The ICDO organized the 4th African Meeting of Directors General of Civil Protection held in Algiers from 29-30 September 2019.
The themes of this meeting were:
- organizational issues
- coordination with other bodies involved in the protection of the population (firefighters ...)
- territorial coverage (rates and figures)
- crisis management centers: state of play
- training (infrastructures, staffing, problems)
- material and equipment: state of play
- regulatory texts relating to forecasting, prevention etc.
- regulatory texts for emergency and emergency plans (ORSEC ...)
- manpower, human resources, nature (military, paramilitary, civilians ...)
The following recommendations emerged from the discussions:
In addition to the recommendations, the issue of challenges to climate change-related disasters has been raised. The ICDO has decided to set up an expert committee to update risk maps and contingency plans taking into account the new parameters, particularly for forest fires and floods.
The committee will set up a public awareness program and a working group to create a regional mutual aid plan in the ICDO Member States in the event of a disaster, coordinated by the International Monitoring and Coordination Centre.